Hydrogen sulfide readings taken during two recent steam releases at Puna Geothermal Venture were too low to be considered a public health risk.
Accessed on 08 October 2016, 15:25 hrs, UTC.
Reporter: Tom Callis.
Please click link to read the full story.
On Tuesday, a group of Puna residents told members of the Hawaii County Council that recent steam releases from the Puna Geothermal facility near Kapoho weren’t as “safe” as reported by the Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency. Although Civil Defense officials said the emissions were too low to endanger public health, Sarah Steiner claimed her neighbors “felt ill” after the steam escape from the PGV facility.
Another Puna resident, Sandra Baker, told the editor of the “Hawaii Tribune-Herald” that there was an “awful smell” at her home during the steam releases and that one of the emissions “gave her daughter a headache and made her dog appear nauseous.” Baker claims the fumes killed her daughter’s pet rabbit “after foaming at the mouth.” Baker told council members “So, when I hear that all is OK with the (PGV) plant, I am here to say that it is not.”
According to PGV spokesman Mike Kaleikini, no workers at the plant were sickened by the steam releases, which he stated were “well below” regulatory levels. Kaleikini added that the releases happened in response to “high pressure conditions as a result of control malfunctions.”
For the latest Hawaii Island, state of Hawaii, national, and sports news, please check out the blog sidebars. These news feeds are updated daily.
Opinions expressed in this blog are mine unless otherwise stated.
Thanks for joining us today!
Until next time,
Hawaii News Digest